Order Book @ R&L | Amazon | Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble| Amazon UK
There is much that goes into the writing of a book. It represents my thinking and experiences, influenced by conversations and readings of others. It is possible, perhaps likely, there are some inspirations not listed here, not from lack of effort or thoughtful reflection, but from not remembering in the moment. Here are references that acutely inspired or were cited in So All Can Learn: A Practical Guide to Differentiation. Bon Appetite!
- 3 Ways to Plan for Diverse Learners: What Teachers Do by John McCarthy
- The myth about Sisyphus and the boulder
- Assessment and Student Success in a Differentiated Classroom. by Carol Ann Tomlinson and Tonya R. Moon. ASCD. 2013
- Partnership for 21st Century Learning
P21 is a resource for professional and social skills needed by students on entering college, and entering into careers, of which some are yet to be created.
- Timely feedback to students:
- Ron Berger. An Ethic of Excellence: Building a Culture of Craftsmanship with Students. Heinemann. 2003
- John Hattie and Gregory Yates. Visible Learning and the Science of How We Learn. Routledge. 2013
- Ron Ritchhart. Creating Cultures of Thinking: The 8 Forces We Must Master to Truly Transform Our Schools. Jossey-Bass. 2015
- 3 Ways to Plan for Diverse Learners: What Teachers Do by John McCarthy. Edutopia. July 23, 2014
- Movie Quote DB from The Wizard of Oz
- Spider Web Discussions as a Formative Assessment by Dayna Laur. December 14, 2014. This protocol is similar to the Harkness Discussion protocol on Edutopia’s Collaboration Resources list
- Robert Sternberg’s Triarchaic Theory of Multiple Intelligences:
- Genius Hour
- Ceri B. Dean, Elizabeth Ross Hubbell, Howard Pitler, and Bj Stone. Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement, 2nd Edition. ASCD, Alexandria, VA. 2013
- Susan Allan and Carol Tomlinson. Leadership for Differentiating Schools and Classrooms. ASCD, Alexandria, VA. 2000
- Assessment for Learning, Education Services Australia
- A Framework for 21st Century Learning at P21.org
- Henrico County Public Schools: TIP Chart
A teacher reflection tool for self evaluating one’s instructional practices that directly teach and coach the College & Career Readiness Skills.
- The New Tech Network promotes developing students’ academic success through project-based learning (PBL) and the college career readiness skills. Its approach to learning promotes innovation in teaching and learning. From personal experience and many classroom observations and coaching of PBL, I can say that PBL is a natural structure for using the differentiation lens.
- Resources about PBL and Authentic Learning Experiences
- Organizations and schools that use PBL
- Lorna M. Earl. Assessment as Learning: Using Classroom Assessment to Maximize Student Learning. Corwin Press, Inc. 2003
- Carol Ann Tomlinson. How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms, 2nd edition. ASCD. 2001
- ASCD: Whole Child
CBS News did a news segment. View it here.
- More information on this topic
- Authentic Learning Experiences
- Authenticity = Lifelong Learners by John McCarthy. Edutopia, 12/03/2015.
- 4 Paths to Engaging Authentic Purpose and Audience by John McCarthy. Edutopia, 04/13/2015.
- Ron Ritchhart and Mark Church. Making Thinking Visible: How to Promote Engagement, Understanding, and Independence for All Learners. Jossey-Bass. 2011
- Gamifying Your Class to Meet the Needs of All Learners by John McCarthy. Edutopia
- The What Works Clearinghouse has researched supported instructional strategies. All can be adapted using the Differentiation Lens.
- Both concepts, IRE and IRF can be found online. A starting place would be the glossary on the Annenberg Learner site. Follow this with looking at Guided Instruction by Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey. Here’s an excerpt from their book: Chapter 2. Questioning to Check for Understanding
- “Initiation/Response/Evaluation (IRE) communication pattern or the Initiation/Response/Follow-Up (IRF) communication pattern”
- Guided Reading
- Research Based for Guided Reading as an Instructional Approach by Gay Su Pinnell and Irene C. Fountas. 2010.
- Guided Reading: The Romance and the Reality.
- Instructional Strategies for the Differentiated Classroom, Part 1 DVD and Facilitator’s Guide, ASCD.
- Frayer, D., Frederick, W. C., and Klausmeier, H. J. (1969). A Schema for Testing the Level of Cognitive Mastery. Madison, WI: Wisconsin Center for Education Research.
- Learning Forward on Standards for Professional Learning.
The Pew Research Center did a survey of adults: Lifelong Learning and Technology by John Horrigan (March 22, 2016). The responses were interesting in that personalized voice was prevalent.
- What is Genius Hour? – Introduction to Genius Hour in the Classroom by Chris Kesler
- Innovative Practices: PBL and X-BL
- Research that shows one important connection to PBL and Differentiation is: Inclusion and Problem-Based Learning: Roles of Students in a Mixed-Ability Group by Brian R. Belland, Krista D. Glazewski, Peggy A. Ertmer. or read the full document.
- Find additional research at the Buck Institute for Education.
- The New Tech Network
- Buck Institute for Education
- High Tech High: , Expeditionary Learning
- P21’s Learning and Innovation Skills are important for connecting curriculum to real-world applications.
- Chanhassen High School district – Seeking to develop a Personalized Learning culture and system for teaching and learning.
- Establishing a Culture of Student Voice by John McCarthy. Edutopia
- Brian R. Belland, Krista D. Glazewski, and Peggy A. Ertmer. Inclusion and Problem-Based Learning: Roles of Students in a Mixed- Ability Group or Full Text PDF
- Carol S. Dweck. Mindset: The New Psychology of Success—How We Can Learn to Fulfill Our Potential. Random House. February 28, 2006
- Stephen Covey. Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Free Press. 1989
- 100+ Tools for Differentiating Instruction Through Social Media
- Dayna Laur. Authentic Learning Experiences: A Real-World Approach to Project-Based Learning. Routledge. 2013
- Dayna Laur and Jill Ackers. Developing Natural Curiosity through Project Based Learning: 5 Strategies for the PreK-3 Classroom. Routledge. 2017
- rant Wiggins and Jay McTighe. Understanding By Design, Expanded 2nd edition. ASCD.
- Learning Forward on Standards for Professional Learning
- Pew Research Center: Lifelong Learning and Technology by John Horrigan. March 22, 2016
- The Center for Innovation
- The L12 Capstone is a program for seniors, which is different from traditional schools. The culture is more like a college campus with classrooms and open working spaces where students work individually and in teams.
- The Philanthropy project
- Launch of the Philanthropy project.
- The related learning standards
- Online Classroom Platforms that are Free
- Stephen Covey. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change. Simon & Schuster. 2013. Excerpt from Habit 4: Think Win-Win
- Harvey Daniels. Literature Circles: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs and Reading Groups, 2nd edition. Stenhouse Publishers. 2002
- Using Think-Time and Wait-Time Skillfully in the Classroom, by Robert J. Stahl. ERIC Publications
- Robert Sternberg’s Triarchic Theory of Intelligences
- Mary Budd Rowe. Wait Time: Slowing Down May Be A Way of Speeding Up! Journal of Teacher Education 1986 (Abstract)
- Guided Reading research:
- Guided Reading in the Balanced Reading Program by Melissa J. Rickey, Ed.D.
- Early Literacy Experts Offer New Reading Intervention Program by Fountas and Pinnell
- Response to Intervention
- RTI Action Network. What is RTI. http://www.rtinetwork.org/learn/what/whatisrti
- RTI Action Network. Tiered Instruction and Intervention in a Response-to-Intervention Model. http://www.rtinetwork.org/essential/tieredinstruction/tiered-instruction-and-intervention-rti-model
- Susan Demirsky Allan and Yvonne L. Goddard. Differentiated Instruction and RTI: A Natural Fit. Education Leadership. ASCD. http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/oct10/vol68/num02/Differentiated-Instruction-and-RTI@-A-Natural-Fit.aspx
- Restorative Practices research:
- from SafeSanerSchools.org:
- Improving school climate: Evidence from schools implementing restorative practices (2014)
- Findings from schools implementing restorative practices (2009)
- The Promise of Restorative Practices to Transform Teacher-Student Relationships and Achieve Equity in School Discipline
- Classroom Instruction that Works, 2nd Ed
- Getting Acquainted with the Essential Nine by Laura Varlas. ASCD Express. 2002.
- Homework is a tool that can support or hurt student learning. As a differentiation method, teachers need to be purposeful, realistic, reflective, and empathetic in their approach to such assignments.
- 100+ Tools for Differentiating Instruction Through Social Media There are many digital tools that will support the Essential Nine instructional approaches and Personalized Learning. As part of this article is a growing list of tools.
- The National School Reform Faculty offers a wealth of protocols that can be used to support student reflection, collaborative support, and College & Career Readiness Skills (CCRS) such as Collaboration, Communication, Critical Thinking, and others.
- Teampedia is a treasure of team builders that can be used to support the coaching of cooperation and Collaboration, and other CCRS skills.
- Learning Forward on Standards for Professional Learning
- The Pew Research Center did a survey of adults: Lifelong Learning and Technology by John Horrigan (March 22, 2016). The responses were interesting in that personalized voice was prevalent.